Questions to Ask Your Dentist
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 in
There are several questions you should be asking your Calgary dentist before and after dental visits.
Medical Insurance or a Health Plan
Dental or group health care plans are a contract between the individual and the insurer. You need to bring in the details of your insurance plan to your dental clinic so that they can review it and let you know what dental procedures will be covered by your plan.
Preferred areas of practice
Another aspect worth checking is whether your dental clinic offers a wide range of services. Does the dentist only focus on one or two types of dental service, and therefore has to send you to another dentist for some procedures? It simplifies your life having many dental services available to you under one roof.
Questions to ask after your dental checkup
- How healthy is your mouth? It’s not only your teeth that matter, but also your gums, tongue and palate.
- Is there anything you should be doing for healthier teeth and gums?
- You should also ask if there’s anything you should be discussing with your family doctor.
- You can also ask your doctor if your diet and dental hygiene efforts seem to be good enough to maintain your dental health. If not, what needs to be improved?
- Ask about your personal treatment schedule. Are some elements optional rather than necessary? If you are on a tight budget, you may decide to delay optional and cosmetic interventions in favour of procedures that are necessary now.
What can I do to improve my dental health?
Everyone’s mouth is different, and you might need to do more than the general guidelines of brushing after meals and flossing daily. Dentists can give you advice specific to you. They can advise you on whether you need to brush more often or switch to a different toothbrush, or if you need some advice on how to floss. They can tell you whether you need to increase or decrease your fluoride intake, and how often you need to come in for a visit. Don’t hesitate to ask your dentist about new products you’ve seen advertised, and whether they could help you, or are a waste of money. Your dentist may even have free samples you can try.
For upcoming procedures, go over this checklist of questions with your dentist:
- What side effects can I expect?
- What kind of anesthesia or sedation will be used, general or local?
- How do I prepare in advance for it and how can I expect to feel immediately afterward?
- Will I need assistance in getting home?
- Are there any alternative treatments and, if so, what are their pros and cons?
- How long will it take and will there be any pain afterward?
- Is there any special care needed for my teeth after the procedure and, if so, for how long?
- Will there be any follow-up procedures, and how many appointments can I expect this to entail?
At Woodcreek Dental Care, we are here to answer all of your questions about general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, sedation dentistry. Contact our Calgary dental clinic for a free consultation.